Sunday, January 15, 2006

Eternity

Which is harder to comprehend, the idea of nothing ever beginning or ending, or the idea of you just not existing anymore?

As far as I can tell, I've lived forever. I can't remember a time when I wasn't living. I don't know what its like to not be conscious. There has never been a time when I didn't wake up from going to bed. I go to bed one night, wake up the next morning. I've never experienced a day not coming after, its always been going.

Eternity is a hard thing to understand, but it makes more sense to me than a sudden stop. If we don't believe in eternity, what happens to us when we die? Do we just cease to exist? Are we stuck seeing a screen saver forever? Do we not see, do we not exist? I've never experienced not existing, and it scares me. The end idea doesn't make any sense to me. What happens to my thoughts deep inside? The thing inside of me that makes me think and breathe, that will just stop? No way man.

So, we're not very good at understanding stuff, and I don't understand this eternity idea super well, but I understand this "end" idea even less. What would it be like to just end? I figure it wouldn't be like anything, and thats weird. Because everything is like something. How can you experience no longer existing? We've always got to exist. Your 'soul' can't just stop. I'm always going to be me.

Just some food for thought.

3 Comments:

Blogger riss. said...

we aren't meant to understand it. Just thinking about it BLOWS my mind. It just freaks me out. So i just try not to think about it. I think about the future, but just not that far in the future. I know there is life after death, but I have NO idea what it will be like. I just have faith that it will be okay, ya know? and if it turns out that I'm wrong, then I'll never know the different, eh?

2:30 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

No one is supposed to know what comes after death, and I suspect that if someone manages to do that, the world will end. Literally, just end. Then we'll all see for ourselves. Maybe this has already happened, and we're version 2.0. Or 3.1. Or 4.9. Who knows? That's the point: No one.

4:50 PM  
Blogger The Warrior said...

As a Bible-believing Christian, I must say that I think you're right about understanding eternity...things like that transcend man's ability to understand. I think that also makes sense. If we understood everything about God, he wouldn't be God then would he?

And a "stop"? No way. I'm not going to believe that I have nothing to hope for than to dissolve into the universe as Buddhism teaches, or will just stop existing when I die.

No way.

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home