Sunday, November 20, 2005

Blogaday day 5!!!

Whee, one more day down, about a million left to go! Yay! I love Sundays, they are the very best.

Anyways, todays topic is an old one, but I think that it is a very important one. What is the difference between an A paper, and a B paper? What is the difference between a 5:30 mile, and a 6:30 mile? What is the difference between a cool girl, and an amazing girl? What is the difference between a respected individual, and an individual not worthy of respect? What is the line that seperates the amazing and the amazed?

The line is a bold one, and there is often very little confusion as to which side one belongs to. The great seperating factor is effort. When one puts forth an honest effort, he exalts himself above those around them, draws himself to a higher sphere, and becomes something greater than what he was before.

Likewise, when one does not put forth an effort, he agrees to wallow in the mud of defeat, and be trodden upon by those willing to fight for what they want.

Every day in fitness for life we run. Generally we run 6 laps inside, 3 of which have to be jogged. The other 3 can be walked if you'd like, it's up to you. Every day in fitness for life, I run all 6 laps, and I run them pretty fast. I'm capable of running them all fast because of Cross Country, I enjoy doing it, and it's good training for the mile. It's nowhere near a mile long, but I need speed training, so I try to run it fast. I assume that people think that I'm stupid for doing so, that i'm a buttkiss, and a square, but I don't mind so much. I am everyday appalled at the lack of effort being put forth. As I run my laps, I see 90% of the class walking it. Not jogging slow, not putting forth any effort at all, just walking it. They are content to walk 2 laps in the time I can run 6, and then call it good and return to the gym.

Now, what consequences does this bring to them? I can tell you, absolutely none. Their grade is the same as mine, they get credit for it no matter what they do. Some are proud of it, some don't feel anything about it, it's just something to do. So why do I run, and they walk? Why don't I walk too?

I believe that every day we have an oppurtunity to learn and to grow. We are faced with choices every few minutes, and what we do with them adds up to make us the people that we are today, we all know that. However, I believe that every time we choose to not put forth an effort, a part of us dies. Not a large part, but a small part of us. I don't know where this part comes from, but I think that it's there. When we put forth an effort we become greater people. Every time we do, we grow a little bit more. After a lifetime of effort, books are written about us. After a lifetime of nothing, nobody cares, and the prisons are one inmate less crowded.

Last time I clocked a mile, i ran a 5:22. Zack Sievert beat me by a couple seconds, I think he got 5:18. I can guarantee that today I can kick his butt. Zack has alot more physical talent than I do, he always has. I've known him for a long time, we grew up in the same ward, and he was always good at all the sports, and I was always good at anything that required my brain. We are all born with individual gifts, we all know that. Zack was born with more physical talent than I was, and that was apparent all through our childhoods. At the end of 9th grade, he could still run faster than me, partly because he tried harder, and partly because of his talent.

Well, it's 10th grade now, and by all means he ought to run alot faster than me. He doesn't put forth an effort. I put forth alot of effort in Cross country, and now I can beat him, I'm sure of it. Does that matter? No, not to anybody but me.

Pleadingly I ask that you all put forth your effort at everything you do. The difference between the common man and the Hero lies only in the effort put forth. Each of us has the potential and power within us to change the history of the world, but the percentage of people that do that is alarmingly low. It's hard to change the world, but it's always possible. We are faced with choices every day, to do things the easy way, or to do them the right way. It's up to you, to be amazing, or to sit back and be amazed.

The choice is yours, take it.

1 Comments:

Blogger riss. said...

yeah, I don't run every day. But I know I can. Sometimes, I just have a headache, or something like that. Sometimes, I have something I really need to talk to Katie about, and she can't run all 6 laps. I love to push myself, you know that. Sometimes, its just not necissary. For me, as long as i know I CAN, i'm satisfied. I don't have to beat anyone. I don't have to be the best. I just have to do it for ME.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home