Tuesday, May 03, 2005

What a wonderful world

Kids are sponges. At least that's the theory we're working with right now.

I had a very long argument with stefanie the other night on whether music really makes kids smarter, and whether violent video games make kids violent. Today, we will be discussing this.

How many times have you been watching a movie with a bunch of little kids, and a little less than 3 minutes after the movie is over, the kids are acting out a scene from the movie, and making fools of themselves. 7, that's right.

We all know how it goes, little kids do it all the time, they mimic what they see. It is part of how they learn. That is how we learn to talk, how to take responsibility, how to wash dishes, how to be sarcastic, how to walk, how to open the fridge. We do this because we want to be just like mom/dad/legal guardian, so we act like them. At least, that's the way we see it.

And then we see one freaky kid that does something really stupid when he's 17, and then somebody blames it on a violent video game. And in the words of my good friend mr. brough, the crap hits the fan real quick.

And so, the whole world starts believing that violent video games are bad for kids. I don't have much time, and I dont wanna go too deep into reasoning, but kids do what they see, and if they see violence, they do violence right? Thats the theory.

In the end, a bunch of do-gooders believe that violence in video games teaches kids that violence is the way to solve problems, and that it is culturally acceptable. They blame it for all the worlds problems, and they've got tests to prove it. They've done all sorts of tests, and they all have shocking results. The kind of results that when your neighboor's mother sees it they band 007 from the home.

"80% of kids that see models doing violent things to a clown doll will then go and do violent things to a clown doll if put in a room with a clown doll and a baseball bat."

Sigh. You know, this all makes sense on paper. But I have 3 points that don't make any sense to all of these do-gooders, and here they are:

1) Where are the results?

You know, for how much violence kids see in the media, in the video games, in the world around them, you'd imagine there'd be a riot going on every couple minutes at the elementary school. I don't care what your stupid tests say, they don't apply in the real world. If they did, the whole city would be in ashes right now. You continue to be doomsayers, say that our children are going to grow up to be serial killers. Some will, sucks to be their parents. Most of us won't, most of us will grow up to be amazing people, despite my violent video games.

2) History is on my side

My dad told me a story once about how his sister chucked a steak knife at his brother, and it stuck in his back and stood up by itself. Of course, this was when they were little, and neither of the children died for it. He then told me the story about when he took a rake to his cousins head, and made a big puncture wound.

My dad never played violent video games as a kid.

Its true, I dont even think he played pong, I dont even think pong existed. and here we are, hearing baout a child that went on and did some seriously violent stuff. But why?!?!? There's no media to imitate?! Where'd he get the horrible idea?!

Kids have been doing it forever. Kids will always do it. perhaps my dad was just kinda screwy, or perhaps, just perhaps, it was some other thing that made him violent, and not video games. GASP!

3) I've been there, it doesn't work.

I am a kid. I play violent video games. Guess how many times I've hit somebody? Yeah, none. Never been in a fight, never taken a sword to the school, never tried to shoot my cousin. And yet here I am, being corrupted every day. I don't care what all you psychologists say. It doesn't work. You were never here, you probably never played violent video games. You don't understand why we play, how we play, or what goes through our heads. You just think you know everything, and you have no idea. Until you have blown somebody up in halo, you'll never understand how it feels.

That's the problem. People think they know, when they dont. They think they know, and they think they are helping so they do stupid things like ban games and junk, when really, its just a fear.

A fear of failure. Some kids are violent, I don't know why. But I do know it's not video games' fault. Maybe it's the parents. Maybe they never taught them better. Maybe parent's are afraid they screwed up, and so to fix the problem they ban cool games.

The buck stops at the parent here folks. You can't blame the media for how your kids turn out. Its not the media's fault. If you can't watch what your kids see, watch what they play, you can't complain about it. Shutup, and raise your kids right. If you don't like games, don't let them play it, but don't ever tell me that violent video games make me violent, or I'm gonna bust a cap on y'all.

Just kidding, I wouldn't really bust a cap. You see, I'm a rather gentle and loving individual. Ive never hit somebody as hard as I could. Ive never kicked somebody really. Never swung a bat or stick at somebody with intent to hurt. I won't shoot you, or kill you in your sleep, Ill just write more indignant blogs in your direction.

1 Comments:

Blogger riss. said...

I totally agree. Its really the parents fault for alot of things. In 6th period today, my teacher went out and brought a student into our class that was being disruptive in the halls. He started talking back to her, and she said to show her some repesct. He just said the he talks back to everyone, even his parents. She then took him to the office....haha. Then she told us how thankful she is that our parents raised us right. I'm like....yeah, my parents DID raise my right. I know how to respect adults etc....but i've been exposed to violent things. But my parents taught me the know the differencee between fantasy and reality. Some parents just dont take the time to do that! If they did, it could solve alot of problems in this world! Sorry this was so long BTW....

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home