Saturday, March 19, 2005

The Retro Revolution

And here I am again, to complain a little more about the ills of society. I hope you enjoy.

It seems that everybody wants to be cool. Of course everybody wants to be cool. Being cool is where it's at. Unfortunately, nobody really knows what is cool. Its just a matter a couple people deciding something is cool, and from there it's accepted as awesome. There's no standard for cool. Cool changes left and right, and today I complain about those who will deny their upbringing to be cool.

We've all seen it. People running around with Old school NES shirts. People running around with Megaman on their shirt, people running around with a 1up mushroom.

The first time I saw the 1up shirt, I just about peed my pants in joy. It was literally the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I decided then and there that if I saw a girl running around with an old school shirt, I'd be all over her. It was cool, and we all knew it was cool. The world soon caught on, and the Retro Revolution was upon us.

There was no denying it, I was a little jealous of the cool shirts. I can honestly say that I was brough up on the old school NES, I could name all the characters on the shirts, In fact, I still remembered some of the cheats to the games. I loved it. I loved seeing the old school getting the fame it deserves. It was just so friggin cool!

And then, I discovered something that shook my life. Something so sickening, that I was turned away from every girl that would ever wear and old school shirt. The retro revolution, which I loved, was now defiled.

I discovered that about 80% of the people running around with NES shirts had actually never played NES. People running around, never really played Old school, but have an Old school shirt. Scott Malone, with the megaman shirt. Idiots running around, proudly donning the NES Logo, while never having played. I felt betrayed.

How can they get the fame, the popularity, the respect from fellow nerds, when they didn't know that samus was a chick?! In fact, they thought her name was metroid. Oh the injustice of it all. There are some of us out there, some of us that really were weaned on NES. We are the true followers of the Old school. But 9 times out of 10, those that wear the shirts never played. They don't know how to blow in the cartridge just right to make it play. They've never known the horror of the flashing gray screen when you want to play, but it won't work. They've never known. And yet, they feel it's ok to take that logo on them, and take the fame that follows it.

My friends, that is what is wrong with today. Today, people are selling out, to be cool. People are jumping on the bandwagon. People like Bill who never touched an NES controller, but will wear one to be cool. If there is one thing I refuse to stand, it is somebody that denies the way he was brought up.

People that like Lord of the Rings because of the movies. You know, I read most of those books in 3rd grade. And suddenly, its now cool, and everybody is reading them. And they think they are cool because of that. Pokemon, what a cool gameboy game. And then there are those that think its awesome because the cards had cool pictures on them. ~sigh~

People, you can't just jump into rocky II and decide that it is the best series ever made. No, you have to see Rocky I. People are dumb. I feel personally offended that Nick has made me despise the 1up mushroom. What does he know about Mario? I know mario personally. Mario raised me. People forget who they are. People forget their loyalties. This retro revolution, it is well deserved. Those were some of the coolest games ever. They were awesome. But how many people really know that? They just like the shirts.

In the quest to be cool, they've ruined something for me. I hope you're all happy. Because of you, when I find the coolest girl ever, that grew up playing Old school NES, I'm not going to trust her, and then Ill never get to know her, then we wont fall in love, and live happily ever. I hope you're happy.

2 Comments:

Blogger riss. said...

Man....this situation is so out of hand. I mean, if I don't know what something is, then I either don't do anything about it....or I go learn about it! If I saw a cool shirt, I would like, play the game before I bought it. Considering that I prolly wouldn't take the effort to find the game...I just wouldn't buy the shirt!!
And yeah, I agree with Briahna. Some people mess things up, but you don't have to let it get to you that much!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Gee, thanks Thatcher. I'll have you know I did play Mario while growing. It may not have been the really, really old school, but at least it was Mario. Super Mario World was actually the best. Duh. I didn't beat it, but I was okay. So there.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home